On Friday night at 9:30 p.m., the Middleton Fire Department received a call about a house fire in Boise, Idaho. The two alarm blaze came from a secluded house in one of the more rural areas of the city, causing the department to rush out. When the emergency personnel arrived on the scene, they heard cries for help coming from inside. Thinking it was an elderly woman calling for help, they called in for back up. After an exhaustive search of the burning building, what the firefighters found was not a human victim, but rather two parrots.
At first, the rescue crews were stumped when they searched the house and found no one. They switched to the use of thermal imagery technology, which still detected no people, but rather, a parrot sitting on the table.
In actuality, it was the cries of "help! fire!" by the female parrot that had drawn the emergency crews in. The owners of the house were not home when the fire started and no one was injured in the blaze. It is still not clear how the fire started, but it is under investigation although no foul play is suspected. The fire was eventually contained to one room after the pair of parrots was rescued. Both the male and female parrots suffered from smoke inhalation, each receiving oxygen treatments after they were rescued. Once the female parrot was feeling better, she celebrated by imitating the sounds of the sirens while the male remained his usual stoic and silent self.
The owners were, unsurprisingly, shocked when they returned home to find fire crews outside their house, but they were grateful for the Middleton Fire Department's quick response and, of course, for their protection and care of the couple's two parrots.