Just months after being dyed pink for a party stunt, a kitten that once belonged to Russian writer Lena Lenina has died after a long bout of toxic poisoning.
The kitten was the main attraction in Lena Lenina's "Pretty in Pink" party in which guests, furniture and apparently her pet kitten were all doused in pink. While the guests could go home and remove their pink cloths, the defenceless ball of fluff got the permanent pink treatment. Eyewitnesses at the party stated that the cat was going crazy that evening, trying to lick of the dye off and allegedly stating that it was irritating its skin. Furthermore, after the party had begun to wind down, when Lenina tried to cuddle the kitten, it struggled to run away.
Lenina defended her decision by stating, "The pink color was especially chosen for its healing properties and also strengthens the cat’s hair. My vet told me it was a beneficial addition to him."
However, the dye job was not done by any animal professional; it was, according to Lenina's Instagram, done by her own hair dresser that does her intricate hair styles and long pink nails.
What's just as disturbing as this careless bout of animal cruelty, after the media attention for her pink kitten gave out, she gave it away. Within the next few months, the kitten became very ill and the veterinarian that would later come to care for it in its last moments stated that it had licked the dye to such an extent that it had poisoned it's whole body. The kitten did not survive.
Yuri Kuklachev, a Russian artist, called the publicity stunt cruel, but it is not only Russia's art scene that is outraged, the populace has began circulating a petition that has gathered thousands of signatures to have Lenina charged with animal cruelty.