Yesterday marked the fourth death at a Florida stable after horses were found to have eaten contaminated food. What is worse is that the horror is far from over. It has been deemed that nothing can be done to save another eighteen horses that have been poisoned by tainted food and doomed to a slow death.
The horses, who were stabled at the Masterpiece Equestrian Center in Davie, Florida, were resigned to such a fate after eating a batch of bad feed that was contaminated by additives that - while deemed safe for other animals - are toxic for horses. The batch arrived in September, but no one realized that anything was wrong until a month later where three horses had mysteriously passed away. By then, 22 horses in total had been exposed to the batch and all are expected to die.
The company that sold the animal feed owned up to this tragic mistake and recalled the batch, certainly saving other horses, but for the 22 in the Masterpiece Equestrian Center, the admission and recall came too late. The additives in question are monensin and lasalocid that are traditionally used to promote growth in cattle.
Understandably, those who own horses at the stable are outraged. Debra Buis, who board's her daughter's horses at the stable stated, "They murdered the horses. This wasn't one guy not doing his job on one day. It was a complete screw up. They're failing and we are going to lose them."
The Florida Department of Agriculture has launched an investigation into this deadly oversight and the company could face sanctions for it.
In the meantime, the staff and owners of the horses are giving them all special spa days for what is likely to be the last of their lives. Grooming and treatments are done every day in order to give them as much tender love and care in the limited time they have left.