A devastating fire ripped through one of the SPCA's no-kill animal shelters early Sunday morning in Windsor, New York. While no human casualties were reported, two dogs died in the blaze.
Sunday, the Hudson Valley SPCA shared the sad loss with their followers on Facebook, saying:
"We lost Harley and Johnny in today's fire. They were long-time residents here at the HVSPCA, and it is heartbreaking to know that their forever homes didn't come in time. Five more dogs are at Flannery's with smoke inhalation and burns.
But they will be OK! We lost our back kennel - housing for 35 dogs - but we will rebuild. We pray for those souls who were lost and have to be grateful that the losses weren't larger than this."
Luckily for this animal shelter and the animals inside, a volunteer firefighter was the first person to notice the flames that were spewing from the structure in the morning hours. As geared firefighters rushed to respond, the volunteer firefighter broke into the animal shelter and began evacuating dogs from the flaming building. When firefighters responded, one of the kennels was already beyond saving. However, the second kennel and cat sanctuary was saved due to firefighting efforts. The arson investigator found that the fire was likely started in a clothing dryer after an excess of lint built up and combusted.
Mere hours after the fire was under control and the animals were evacuated, donations began pouring in from the surrounding community. Supplies such as cleaning supplies, work gloves, blankets, pet food and monetary donations were all sent to help care for the animals and the rebuild the building. The already homeless dogs and cats that had their shelter burnt down were transferred to foster homes, aside from the one's being treated for smoke inhalation and burns. Shelter employees have promised to do follow-up checks on the animals in foster care until the shelter is fit to be returned to.