For Aljosha the cat, it is a good thing that he still had some of his nine lives left. This curious cat spent seven weeks on a bender in a wine cellar where he broke $44 worth of wine and drank some of the contents before spending three days at the vet with a serious hangover.
Aljosha is the kind of cat that was born to wander. According to owner Claudia von Buren, Aljosha liked to leave the house around morning, wander through the small German town of Wurselen and return by midday for a nap before his owner returned. However, one day Aljosha did not return. Von Buren posted flyers around town, but she had no luck finding her cat until seven week later when her neighbor took a trip down to his wine cellar.
The neighbour returned the cat, stating that he had broken three bottles of wine and drank the contents. Von Buren stated that when her cat was returned, he was quite ill, describing him as "more dead than alive." With haste, she rushed Aljosha to the vet where he was hooked up to IVs to work out his hangover.
Not only did Aljosha have a dangerous level of alcohol in his system, but the grapes that the wine was made from are toxic to cats. Of course, the alcohol itself is no good for any animal. Cats can drink and become intoxicated, but it takes significantly less alcohol to do so due to their small size and body weight. One teaspoon of grain alcohol is enough to give a cat alcohol poisoning. As wine is a smaller proof, it would take more than one teaspoon, but three bottles was more than enough to push Aljosha into the dangerous symptoms of alcohol poisoning.
Fortunately, due to his owner's quick action, Aljosha was nursed back to health in only three days and is doing much better.