Benno, a 4-year-old Malinois from Arkansas has hopefully learned to stop eating strange things he finds around the house after his most recent surgery. Benno had to undergo emergency surgery after he chewed on and swallowed 23 live rounds of .308 caliber ammo that he found lying next to his master's bed in his Mountain Home, Arkansas home.
His owner, Larry "Sonny" Brassfield first realized that Benno definitely needed medical attention when his wife found that he had thrown up 4 of the bullets onto the floor. Dr. Sarah Sexton of All Creatures Animal Hospital set to work immediately to remove the foreign objects. She managed to take 17 bullets out of Benno's belly, but had to leave two that were lodged in the esophagus. Fortunately, the remaining bullets were safely passed 8 days later.
Brassfield stated, “He's never messed with ammo before. I just left them in a bag by the bed after I ran out of room for about 200 rounds after loading up a bunch of bullets in ammo cans. Bad move."
As it turned out, while it may have been a first for bullets, Benno has had a long history of eating odd things opposed to just sticking with his regular dog food. Benno's past object noshes have included: a gasoline-soaked lawn mower air filter, blankets, marbles; magnets, straight pins, a TV remote, plastic bottles and lids, Legos, a nylon hairbrush, a full loaf of bread still in its wrapper and broken glass, among a long list of other items too long to list here.
Several of these objects can be blamed on owners leaving them on the floor, but Benno occasionally seeks them out by grabbing them off counters, shelves and the sides of the sinks. Hopefully, this will be his last encounter with odd objects, but his past history suggests not.